STATUE OF UNITY : 182-metre tall
Initiative of Gujarat government, executing body Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Rashtriya Ekta Trust (SVPRET)
The project was a dream of the Indian PM Mr Narendra Modi, former Chief Minister of Gujrat.
PM pays tributes to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel by announcing the project ‘STATUE OF UNITY’ on October 7, 2010.
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel , political activist and a prominent freedom fighter. He was the one of the founding fathers of the Republic of India, and first Home Minister of independent India.
He is also well known as ‘Iron Man of India’.
Some amazing and important information about STATUE OF UNITY, world’s most marvellous structure.
Project name : STATUE OF UNITY, 182 m (world’s tallest statue,twice the height of Statue of Liberty standing at 93 m)
Project area : 19700 sq m
Project completion : end of 2018
Launched on : The project was launched by former Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and L.k Advani on October 31, 2013, on Sardar Patel’s 138th birth anniversary by laying the foundation brick.
Location : Statue will be facing towards the Sardar Sarovar Dam, 3.2 km away on the river island called Sadhu Bet in Gujarat, will be surrounded by an enormous man-made lake spread across 12 km of area.
Budget : 2979 cr
Contractor : Larsen & Toubro (L&T), India (visit website)
Consultant : Turner Construction, constructors of Burj Khalifa. (visit website)
Architect : Joseph Menna (read in wiki)
Architecture of statue–
- Inside the statue at 400 ft , Observation Area will be built so that visitors can enjoy the one of the largest dam on Narmada river, Sardar Sarovar Dam and beautiful views with the access of more than 3,000 visitors per day.
- The podium will be built on 9,850 sq m to collect visitor’s experience and memorial gallery with the capacity of more than 15000 visitors.
- Various museum, research and learning centres, exhibition hall where the audio-visual presentation on the life of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel will be shown.
- World’s best Exhibition narrating the story of Indian National Movement,
- Memorial Garden and Visitors Center
- Hotel and Convention Center
Materials to be used :
- The statue will be made up of iron, coated completely by bronze.
- 75,000 cubic metre of concrete,
- 5,600 metric tonne of steel structure,
- 22,500 metric tonne of bronze.
Iron was to be collected for this giant structure, 600-tonne iron is expected to be collected in the form of a donation from farmers.
Modi flagged 1,000 trucks to collect iron from farmers of 7 lakhs villages of India. he requested farmers to give their iron tools.
Iron depository: Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd (SSNNL), godown in the Chhani area in Vadodara.
Seismic Hazard : It has been observed that Peak Ground Acceleration (PGA) from far-field earthquake is low. Site is found to be lying in a low seismic zone and conditions are favourable for the construction of the tallest building of the world STATUE OF UNITY.
|Track Current Progress-||recommended readings-||official website-|
|Project Latest News||Comparison with world’s other tallest statue.|
Facts about the statue.