Content Credits : DEVANK VERMA
Source : Wikipedia
World’s most expensive painting ever sold in the auction. The Painting of two Tahitian women is sold for nearly $300 million. Exact price unknown, stated by The New York Times and BBC News as “close to $300 million.”
Painting Name: When Will You Marry? or Nafea Faa Ipoipo?
Medium: Oil painting
Dimension: 101.5 x 77.5 cm
Artist: PAUL GAUGUIN
ABOUT : WHEN WILL YOU MARRY
When and Where it was created?
1892 in Tahiti. He painted it during his first visit to French Polynesia.
Tahiti is the largest island in French Polynesia. With black-sand beaches, lagoons, waterfalls and volcanoes, its a beautiful vacation spot discovered by Captain James Cook, French artist Paul Gauguin painted When Will You Marry during his visit to Tahiti.
Description of Painting
- The painting features a pair of two Tahitian girls seated next to a tree dressed traditionally. Ground is painted in areas of green, yellow and water in blue.
- The front woman sitting stretched in white and her facial features stylized and simplified. White magnolia flower behind her left ear indicates she is seeking a husband.
- Rear female is dressed in pink and her face is painted with individual features and represents the centre of the image.
- Front woman is looking towards her left and rear woman is looking towards her right.
- Landscape is painted beautifully showing big mountains and on closely examining this painting two people can be seen on the field between the subjects and mountains dressed in grey and light pink.
- At the bottom left is the inscription of Gauguin signature on rock.
At the bottom right is the inscription "NAFEA Faa ipoipo" (When will you marry).
ABOUT ARTIST : PAUL GAUGUINName: Eugène Henri Paul Gauguin( Gauguin means "walnut-grower")
Birth: 7 June 1848, Paris, France
Death:8 May 1903
Parents: Clovis Gauguin (journalist) and Alina Maria Chazal
Spouse: Mette-Sophie Gad
Paul Gauguin was a French Post-Impressionist artist. He was not well appreciated until after his death. He was later recognized for his experimental use of color and synthetist style that were distinguishably different from Impressionism.
Gauguin was an important figure in the Symbolist movement as a painter, sculptor, printmaker, ceramist, and writer. He was also an influential proponent of wood engraving and woodcuts as art forms.
Gauguin's greatest innovation was his use of color, which he employed not for its ability to mimic nature but for its emotive qualities. He applied it in broad flat areas outlined with dark paint, which tended to flatten space and abstract form. This flattening of space and symbolic use of color would be important influences on early twentieth-century artists.
Gauguin’s art became popular after his death; partially from the efforts of art dealer Ambroise Vollard who organized exhibitions of his work late in his career .
ABOUT SELLER : RUDOLF STAECHELINName: Rudolf Staechelin
Born: May 8, 1881, Basel, Switzerland
Death: January 3, 1946
Parents: Gregor Staechelin ( Swiss businessman, master builder and contractor and art collector.)
Spouse: Emma Mina Finkbeiner. (married in 1922)
He is considered one of the major Swiss collectors of the first half of the 20th century.
In 1931, Rudolf Staechelin's Family Foundation was established to act as custodian of the collection.
The collection has included works by Pablo Picasso, Paul Gauguin, Vincent van Gogh,Claude Monet, Edgar Degas and other famous artist.
Staechelin eventually purchased it at the Maison Moos gallery in Geneva in 1917
SOLD PRIVATELY in February 2015 for close to $300m. Reportedly to Qatar Museums (QM)
ABOUT BUYER : QATAR MUSEUMS
The Qatar Museums (QM) is the lead body for museums in Qatar. It was estasblished in 2005 for collecting, protecting, preserving and interpreting historic sites, monuments,and artifacts.